Three suspects to appear in Durban court in connection with soccer violence

0
975

DURBAN, May 2 – Three people are expected to appear in the Durban Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday in connection with the violence that erupted after a soccer match at the Moses Mabhida Stadium on April 21.

The three suspects include a truck driver, aged 35, a taxi rank manager, aged 29, and a taxi owner, aged 35, police said.

Shortly after the arrest, acting provincial police commissioner in KwaZulu-Natal, Bheki Langa, warned more would follow.

“It is only a matter of time before others are arrested,” said Langa.

“I would advise those who were part of the mob that went on a rampage on that unfortunate day to hand themselves over to police as one of these three who were arrested did. If not you will have to be continuously looking over your shoulders. We will not tolerate such hooliganism in this province.”

The arrests follow that of Phelelani Jojisa, 34, who appeared in court last week.

The four suspects were allegedly part of a group of fans who stormed the pitch, destroyed infrastructure and assaulted security guards after Kaizer Chiefs lost to Free State Stars in a Nedbank Cup semi-final match.

– African News Agency (ANA)