Tributes pour in for slain ANC MP

0
1583

CAPE TOWN, June 20 – Opposition parties on Wednesday joined the ruling African National Congress (ANC) in expressing shock at the killing of MP Sibusiso Radebe.

Radebe was shot dead during an attempted hijacking in Roodepoort on Tuesday night.
 
“We call on authorities to act swiftly to apprehend suspects and investigate the killing – this does not bode well as we head toward the 2019 elections which will be fraught with political tensions,” African Christian Democratic Party MP Cheryllyn Dudley said in a statement.
 
Democratic Alliance chief whip John Steenhuisen also extended his condolences to Radebe’s family, friends and the ANC caucus.
 
“Radebe will be lovingly remembered by his family, friends and the ANC as a servant of the people who worked hard to improve the lives of South Africans,” Steenhuisen said. 
 
Radebe was from Elukwatini in Mpumalanga.
 
Radebe joined Parliament in 2009 and has served on various portfolio committees, including higher education and training, and energy. At the time of his death, he was a member of the portfolio committee on transport.

Earlier, the African National Congress (ANC) confirmed the murder of its MP during an attempted hijacking on Tuesday night.

“It is with grave sadness that the Office of the ANC Chief Whip has received the news of the passing of ANC Member of Parliament, Comrade Goodwill Sibusiso Radebe,” ANC chief whip Jackson Mthembu’s office said in a statement.
 
“Comrade Radebe succumbed to injuries sustained from being shot during an attempted hijacking last night in Roodepoort, Gauteng.”
 
Radebe was from Elukwatini in Mpumalanga.
 
Radebe joined Parliament in 2009 and has served on various portfolio committees, including higher education and training, and energy. At the time of his death, he was a member of the portfolio committee on transport.
 
“The African National Congress sends its deepest condolences to Comrade Radebe’s wife and his entire family. May they find solace in the knowledge that we painfully share their loss and thank them for having borrowed the ANC and the country this incomparable servant of our people.”
 
Earlier on Wednesday, police said officers had launched a search for two suspects believed to be responsible for Radebe’s murder.
 
According to reports, he was shot in the head and leg after the suspect allegedly demanded his phone.
 
Provincial police spokesperson, Brigadier Mathapelo Peters, confirmed that a 40-year old man was killed during an attempted hijacking in the west of Johannesburg on Tuesday at about 19h30.
 
“Preliminary reports indicate that the deceased was with another person in a vehicle parked in Carbon Street, Lindhaven when two suspects allegedly approached the vehicle and opened fire, fatally wounding the deceased, while his companion managed to escape uninjured. 
 
“The suspects then reportedly made off in a Ford Fiesta, dark in color, with unknown registration. The motive is unknown, and the police investigations are underway.”
 
Police are appealing to members of the public to assist with information towards identifying the suspects.

 

– African News Agency (ANA)